Thursday, January 7, 2010

1 down...51 to go!

Book 1: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
My rating: ****1/2 out of 5

Catching Fire is the 2nd book in a trilogy called The Hunger Games. I finished The Hunger Games (the first book) on Christmas day (Merry Christmas to me!) but unfortunately could not continue the series as I didn't own the 2nd book at the time. And if you know me very well...I hate having to wait to find out what's going to happen next when there are cliffhangers. I LOVE cliffhangers (when done well), but I hate waiting. Story of my life. So when I saw Catching Fire for $12 at Walmart this past Sunday I regained my composure after doing a slight victory/happy dance in the book aisle then began reading it that night.

Collins does not disappoint, that's for sure. One of my favorite things about reading a good book is when the author has the superb ability to create fantastic mental pictures by simply using her words. From page 1 of The Hunger Games I have become attached to the characters and felt as if I were a spectator of all the events taking place in these books. Catching Fire picks up at the victory tour that Katniss and Peeta are a part of as the champions of the annual Hunger Games in Panem. Throughout the tour, Katniss and Peeta witness unrest among the 12 districts and rumors of an uprising against the Capitol are becoming more truth than rumor. On the wings of the tour is an announcement by President Snow that this year's Hunger Games will be comprised of past victorious tributes - an All-Star Hunger Games if you will. Katniss and Peeta inevitably enter the arena once again, however the stakes are much higher this time. They are both aware that President Snow seeks Katniss's life as retribution for her actions that have spurred the districts' rebellion against the Capitol. There are plenty of cliffhangers and twists in Catching Fire, but I don't want to give too much away because really...you should read these books! Unfortunately, the 3rd book isn't out yet so I find myself having to wait once again. Perhaps I should wait to read a book series until it comes out in it's entirety (like I did with Harry Potter). :-)

Something I find interesting is how many book plots focus on an oppressive/dictatorship style government. These books beg the question, "Is blind allegiance to government an acceptable way to live?" When a government hoards power and uses it to wield unrelenting allegiance from its subjects it is only natural that there will be rebellion among the people as Catching Fire illustrates. But where is the line between autonomy and obedience to government? Is this an issue worth fighting for and giving your life for? These are some of the questions Katniss has to wrestle with and things that I was challenged to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment