Thursday, February 4, 2010

Whatever happened, happened

Book 5: The Gospel According to LOST by Chris Seay (2 books in one week...I'm on a roll!!)

My rating: ****

LOST fans. They’re so annoying. (Can I get an amen?) I mean seriously. Their motto should be “How to lose friends and alienate people.” They talk about their theories on the end of the show and their theories about who Jacob is and their theories about why the plane really crashed. And now, to add insult to injury, they’ll be talking about their theories on parallel timelines. And of course they talk about all of this stuff with non-fans who have no idea (and really don’t care) what’s going on. All LOST fans should probably live in a commune. The best thing is, they don’t even realize they’re being annoying. They don’t realize that every time they start talking about LOST their other friends (not the “other” others…just the others) just have this intense desire to staple their mouth shut. But, the reality is we all have to learn to live together. Or die alone. Or perhaps the reality is that we never crashed on the island in the first place…

OK, OK. I’m obsessed. I admit it. And not even a slight obsession. I’m thankful that 3 of my closest friends can share this obsession with me (although, we make life very fun for our non-LOST friend :-) ). And I’m also thankful for people who write books drawing parallels between the Bible and LOST. I don’t think you can get more obsessed than that. Haha! Really though, LOST is more than just a TV show. People have connected to this show in a serious (albeit scary) way. There are characters you love to hate, characters you hate to love, and characters that you see yourself in. That’s one of the big things that draws me in. I’ve honestly learned a lot about myself through reflecting on a few of the characters from LOST – most specifically Jack. I’ve seen about myself that I’m much more like Jack than Locke (not Flocke – he’s evil to the core!). Jack is a doctor who has difficulty believing in what he can’t see. And he’s a fixer. Those are 2 things that are very true about me. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I don’t believe in God or any of that. I’m saying that grasping the intangible is a daily struggle for me. I know that God exists and my hope lies in the fact that Jesus was crushed by my sin but rose again to give me new life and a restored relationship with God that my sin had broken. But it’s hard for me to grasp God’s love for example because it’s not something I can necessarily see or feel like I can with people.

All this to say that I’m drawn into this show because I feel like it’s more of a personal experience than something I’m just observing – almost like I’m growing along with the characters as they deal with the mysteries of the island and come to terms with their pasts. Whether this show, in the end, has spiritual parallels, I don’t know (yet). But what I do know is that few shows bring people together in this way and cause people to dialogue and think about life, morality, and spirituality like LOST.

No comments:

Post a Comment